Sunday 27 May 2012

Messy House Competition

At the beginning of March I entered a competition.

I waited until the last day before entries closed to send it in. I wasn't really sure if I wanted to enter...but I knew I NEEDED to win!  The "Messy House" competition was being run by Little Treasures magazine...and the prize was just what I needed...the services of a professional declutterer!

I submitted four photos of our house showing it in its normal messy state together with a blurb about why we were in this predicament. That was quite enlightening as I hadn't really taken the time to consider why we were in this state...life just goes on...and the house keeps getting messier and messier.

I quickly sent it off before I changed my mind. Although I was desperate to win, it thought it would be embarrassing for everyone to see the house in its real state.

A few weeks later I got a phone call to say I had won.

The feeling was indescribable. I had tears in my eyes. To me it was like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. It was such a relief to know that we were finally going to get some help to get back on track.

The first day of decluttering finally arrived.

We started with a couple of hours of photos...the "befores". Jo Head did an amazing job of the photos. The kids loved her and still talk about when she's coming back to take more photos of them.

Then I, and my amazing declutterer Angella Gilbert of Gioia got to work.  Here are her details:  http://www.gioia.net.nz/contact/

It was awesome. I whole day of amazingly satisfying work. Angella was great. She just got stuck in. Everything was pulled out, I sorted it what was staying and what was going, and Angella put it all back in an organised and efficient way. We were lucky enough to get two full days with Angella. And we decluttered the whole house! 

Can you believe we got rid of eight and a half rubbish sacks of garbage! Plus another five rubbish sacks of toys, bedding and clothing were donated to Clevedon Kindergarten and also the KidzFirst Healthy Lung Study (the study which Phoebe is monitored by).

After the first day of decluttering, Angella left me homework to do until she came back the following week. For example, I had three years of filing of accounts, statements etc to do.

The photographer came back the following week and got "the after" shots. The girls had a great time with this part. Poor Phoebe was shattered by the end if the photo session...and her and Hunter ended up falling asleep.

You will be pleased to know the house still remains organised! I admit it gets messy with three little kids playing in it but that mess is now so easy to tidy up. It only takes a couple of minutes and everything is back in its place.

I have even gone on and done more myself...I have halved the number of toy boxes in the lounge, I reduced the amount of bedding we have for the kids, I have sorted and donated some of Hunters clothing. I just feel more motivated to be more organised. And I am so grateful for Angella and the competition for getting me to that space.
My copy of the magazine arrived yesterday. It's in shops this week. Check it out if you get a chance...
Little Treasures Magazine June/July edition.


The article..."Order restored"


Our lounge before the makeover


The dining table and the kitchen before the makeover
The piano before and after
The lounge after the make over


Holly in the tidy laundry
The tidy dining table and children's room
The tidy shelving unit in the lounge


Phoebe vacuuming the lounge with the amazing vacuum we won as part of the competition. So great for everyday little dust ups. Would definitely recommend one of these. Even Hunter loves chasing it!

1 comment: